China Dolly now finished.

china dolly now finished: acrylic paint & oil pastel on canvas textured paper (Marcia Kuperberg)Third session developing painting of china dolly: more washes to develop colour.2nd session: developing painting of china dolly - first washes of colour on top of pencil sketch.Initial pencil sketch of china dolly.

Here are the stages of creating China Dolly, building her up from a pencil sketch. She now has deepened tones, more contrast to make her less bland and with greater definition to bring out detail. On second thoughts, maybe she looks a bit stern? Should I give her a happier look?  Please comment!
Media: acrylic paint and oil pastels.

7 Comments to China Dolly now finished.:

Rosalie Segal on 20 February 2013 08:27
I think she'd look strange with a beaming smile, she looks a bit Mona Lisa like, elusive and mysterious, we are left guessing. She's really lovely, where is she going to live now she is finished?

Marcia on 20 February 2013 18:05
Good,Rosie, then I won't fiddle with her expression. She has no home at the moment, so she lives in my plan chest (poor dolly!).

Gilda Segal on 20 February 2013 10:27
Well, isn't she beautiful! I agree with Rose. I do not think she needs to have a happier look. She looks thoughtful and wise and therefore different to your average dolly. Her expression, with her large eyes seeming to look into the distance, is a very nice contrast to her elaborate costume.

Marcia on 20 February 2013 18:09
Really glad you think she looks thoughtful and wise rather than stern, Gil - so that's it: no more work to be done on China Dolly.

Marcia on 22 February 2013 21:42
I'm afraid that I keep looking at her and still don't like her expression - sorry, despite your reassuring comments, Gil and Rosie. To me she looks a bit cross and that's not a nice expression for China Dolly to bear throughout her life. I won't give her a beaming smile - just do something, perhaps to her eyebrows so she looks a bit more benign (hopefully). The great thing about working with acrylics as opposed to watercolour is that I will be able to paint over mistakes, but of course, too much reworking takes away spontaneity from the painting, so I'll have to take care.

Devi on 23 February 2013 21:32
Simon and I both agree with Gilda and Rosie. She definitely doesn't look cross!

Marcia on 24 February 2013 13:48
Thanks so much for commenting, Devi and Simon. Hope you continue to read and contribute to the blog. Perhaps 'cross' is a bit strong, perhaps the word is 'intense' rather than cross. I'd like her to look out at at the world a little more peacefully if possible. Changing the expression on a 2D piece of work is a lot easier than changing it on a 3D model - and that's the next challenge!