For anyone kind enough to read these blogs, apologies for the lapse in posting
. Anyway, for you, Gloria, (fellow ceramicist who has been patiently looking for blog updates) here are my latest ceramic efforts:
I made a set of 5 of these before term break-up end of 2014, and was quite excited when I took them from the kiln, they had turned out more interesting that I had expected. I then carelessly left one on the end of the table - and - you guessed - it smashed. I made patterns on the outside by pressing in a plastic doily. The inside flower was drawn and carved. After biscuit firing, I used manganese dioxide to bring out the pattern, poured a shiny white glaze into the centre of the bowls, wiped away the glaze from the central flower and painted parts with yellow glaze. The happy surprise was that where little bits of the shiny glaze touched the outside, they turned into splashes of pale green. Nice!
This fish, about 8" wide (20 cm), was made with crank clay so it will withstand frost when left outside during winter months. It will swim alongside the mermaid on the external wall of our balcony. Later I'll add starfish, seahorse, reeds and other fish. If that's not enough to create an undersea world, I'll add some painted waves once the weather is better. That's the general intention anyway.