I've now completed the first stage of my two small heads
(each about 4" or 10 cm) of husband, Louis - the first stage being the clay modelling. They will need to be dried and biscuit fired, then glazed in alternative finishes.
Next - the BIG ONE! A full size head. I'm finding it a quite different process to working on the small heads. For a start, so much more clay needed which must be kept moist and workable.
I've decided to use a glass cylindrical vase to begin (must be covered with newspaper) and model the clay on top before removing the vase, so that I won't have such a difficult task of hollowing out later. The centre of any thick clay object has to be hollowed and pricked so that it fires evenly and won't crack or break in the kiln. My problem will be to be able to safely remove the vase and then model the top of the head.
The other difference is simply the size - I need a different much larger set of modelling tools and find I'm using my fingers much more. This time, I'm determined to model more from life and less from photos. This means that I'll have to persuade my husband to sit for me much more often.