This image began life as a polyblock print on silver card, similar in technique to the image below.
I cut the seahorse from a thin piece of polystyrene, carved grooves/patterns into it, inked it in various blue and green printing inks and transferred the image onto the card. I did the same with strips of textured wallpaper giving the horizontal 'waves' inked in pale green.
The funny wiggly strands of undersea weeds are pieces of wool (I keep a collection of interesting wools).
I put the print aside as it took ages for the printing ink to dry and then forgot about it. Looking at it in the cold light of day months later I decided I did not like it and then experimented on it today using a range of different acrylic paints, including 'interference' paint which gives a metallic like glow, pearlised 'sparkly' paint and silver paint mixed with other colours. Also in amongst all that is a bit of oil pastel. I want to bring out the foreground seahorse a bit more and then I'll leave it. Enough is enough!
This is another polyblock print using the same cut out seahorses, but without other media.
Although it does not look like it in this photo taken in artificial light with a flash, it is also on silver card. I'll take a better shot later and replace this one on the blog.
I just may work into it and give it more texture - haven't decided.