Modelling from life: refining detail on Reclining Girl

Marcia Kuperberg refining the detail on the clay model of Reclining Girl.Live model for Harrow College ceramics class: Marcia's work in foreground.I've been working on her for an hour or so every day, refining detail by looking at photos that I took at her last sitting (or lying!), so now she looks rather better.

I have some great ideas for her final appearance which will include a textured blue denim skirt, shiny brown boots and more. You'll see!

11 Comments to Modelling from life: refining detail on Reclining Girl:

Rosalie Segal on 01 March 2013 20:02
She's looking amazing!!!!!!

Marcia on 01 March 2013 21:13
Glad you think so! Now she's no longer all brown: she has coloured clothing, black leggings and will eventually have shiny brown boots. If all goes as planned, she'll look more amazing.

Jo on 02 March 2013 06:57
Yes! Extremely "life-like" but much smaller than I had imagined. Love the idea of the mod get-up.

Marcia on 02 March 2013 18:02
Yes,it can be difficult to see the scale unless the model is next to something recognisable. Hope her mod get-up will look good, when finished. If I do it correctly and patiently, it should!

Gina Kuperberg on 02 March 2013 16:22
oh wow - she's amazing. So *real*! It's so good to see you in the process of working on her. How will you glaze/paint her when she's done?

Marcia on 02 March 2013 18:07
She'll have shiny white hair with brown to pick out the strands, a blue jumper and blue textured jeans - both unglazed, black leggings (unglazed) and shiny brown boots. The skin, i.e. hands and face will be brown as shown - unglazed. Hope she looks as good as I imagine.

Rosalie Segal on 03 March 2013 07:52
Had another look, she is so wonderfully lifelike and can't wait to see her clothing finished and the shiny boots. What I really love is your relaxed, joyful but focused expression while working on her. You look really immersed and in the flow.

Marcia on 03 March 2013 13:37
As a fellow artist, you know the feeling. I do get lost in the flow and time just disappears.

Gilda Segal on 04 March 2013 04:12
You are an amazingly creative person, Marce. It is so interesting to follow your thoughts as something new emerges. I too love the photo of you at work.

Marcia on 04 March 2013 09:30
Thanks for continuing to look/read the blog, Gil, and for your lovely comments!

Marcia on 15 July 2014 22:33
Glad you enjoyed browsing the site, Rayban!