Out of the kiln! Little pendant rock-pools!

I'm delighted with them!  The melted glass looks like limpid pools of water.

Little ceramic pendant 'rock-pools' by Marcia Kuperberg made with melted glass.
close up of ceramic pendant 'rock-pool' by Marcia Kuperberg

Ceramic rock-pool pendant made with melted glass, by Marcia KuperbergCeramic rock-pool pendant made with melted glass, by Marcia KuperbergCeramic rock-pool pendant made with melted glass, by Marcia KuperbergNow that I can see this idea has worked, I'm planning other ceramic ideas based on melted glass.

I really like the contrast of the shiny 'water' with the matt 'rock' surround. You almost want to put your finger inside them to check for wetness.

14 Comments to Out of the kiln! Little pendant rock-pools!:

Jo on 03 February 2013 20:51
Yes. They have turned out brilliantly-just love that vibrant turquoise and lots of scope for beautiful greens, etc. The idea of using glass is very effective to reflect water and reminds me of cutting-edge swimming pools that strive for this image against ceramic tiles. This also suggests that the colour will change in the light when the pendant is worn.

Marcia on 03 February 2013 22:36
Yes, Jo - this is the second time I've used melted glass in ceramics. The first time I used deep blue melted glass on tiles when I created a sea/fish/coral panel for our bathroom. This was not as effective as using the turquoise glass.

Devi on 05 February 2013 04:19
I love these! Looking forward to seeing the pendants on a model.

Marcia on 05 February 2013 22:50
So glad you like them, Devi! I have yet to decide how to hang them - chain/cord/leather/ribbon/plait - with or without additional beads or whatever.

Rosalie Segal on 07 February 2013 16:45
These are divine! I can't wait to see them in real life. The colours and textures look fantastic.

Marcia Clare Kuperberg on 08 February 2013 00:29
Thanks, Rosie! Have still to decide how to hang them and have been looking at some natural semi precious stones that may look good. The bigger ones may be too heavy to be pendants, so will have to consider how best to use them.

Gina Kuperberg on 16 February 2013 05:44
Rock pools. Brings so many images to mind. Mostly Australian for some reason...Love them!

Marcia on 22 February 2013 21:26
Glad you like my rock pools, Gina! I might use some of them in miniature landscapes, modelled from clay. Maybe I could insert one into the ground on which my lady model is lying.

Lit on 01 September 2013 15:20
Hello I've really enjoyed reading your blog, and particularly love these pieces. Could I ask your advice please? I make ceramics, including leaves, and have been asked to try making jewellery by a customer. The leaves will be fine but I absolutely love these too and would like to try a variation of leaves with glass. I have been reading online and they all say how difficult it is to combine clay and glass. You obviously can. I was wondering what type of glass you use please? I fire earthenware to 1120 C. Would this be OK? Many thanks, Lit

Marcia Clare on 21 October 2013 21:58
Sorry not to reply before this, Lit, I'm afraid I haven't been updating this blog for a while. I just use bits of broken coloured bottle glass sprinkled onto the earthenware clay - making sure they do not spill over any unwanted areas when they melt e.g. I used turquoise coloured glass splinters for the eyes of my mermaid but made sure that I had created the right size indentations in the clay for her pupils. The glass when fired will probably show very tiny cracks which do not matter for jewellery but I would not use glass (melted) in the bottom of bowls meant for food! A nice effect can be achieved when you paint with underglaze colours which will show up under the melted glass.

Marcia on 05 December 2013 10:41
Thank you, Lipozene. Keep visiting! I'm glad you find my website interesting.

Marcia on 05 December 2013 10:43
Thank you for your comments, Lipozene. I'm delighted that you read and enjoy the blogs.

marcia on 05 December 2013 10:44
I do hope you recommend this site to others, Lipozene and that I receive comments - which are great to read and reply to.

Marcia Clare Kuperberg on 02 April 2014 18:36
Thanks for your comment- related to your fish tanks. My rock pools and your fish tanks should go well together!