Japanese Lady gets her dress repairs- despite the snow.

Trudged through the snow again to my art group and found just two others there out of the normally large group. I revisited my Japanese Lady which began as an acrylic painting (but with a watercolour look) on canvas textured paper.

Marcia's acrylic painting of Japanese Lady: part done.
Marcia's acrylic painting has oil pastel to bring out canvas texture and pen work for fine detail.
It's turned into a mixed media painting: I used gouache paint and pen to pick out detail, then oil pastels on top.

The oil pastels really show the canvas-like texture. To fix the over-vivid pink at the base of the lady's dress, I painted over with white acrylic (couldn't do that if it was watercolour!) and then used oil pastels on top. May just leave it now - despite faults I can still see.

6 Comments to Japanese Lady gets her dress repairs- despite the snow.:

Jo on 23 January 2013 06:28
Marce, she is exquisite and must be even more so to actually see properly. Can't see any flaws that you speak of!

Marcia on 23 January 2013 10:32
Thanks, Jo. Truth is, I got a bit fed up with her after I found I did not bring the correct art materials to my painting group (brought watercolours instead of my acrylic box) and then, because I was too lazy to do something else during that painting session, I used those watercolours at the bottom of her robes where they looked too bright in comparison with the rest of her dress. After fixing that, Louis said her forehead looked too large, so I altered her hair and gave her a bit of a fringe. I thought I'd better not mangle her anymore!

Rosalie Segal on 23 January 2013 06:46
She's looking very beautiful!

Marcia on 23 January 2013 10:34
Thank you, Rosie! I had a few problems with her, largely due to my impatience and laziness - see comment to Jo. I've put her away for the moment and will concentrate on jewellery ideas for today.

Gilda on 24 January 2013 22:53
I also think she looks absolutely beautiful. The detail in her clothing looks especially wonderful.

Marcia on 24 January 2013 23:48
Gil, I'm glad you like her clothing - I particularly enjoyed doing that part. Looking at her again, I think I'll do a bit more to make her hands a little more realistic.